This is the final Dragonology cover. Although it is the third in the series, I left it until last as it was by far the most difficult. For my book covers, I like to choose dynamic angles to give movement and drama to a scene. This can cause a lot of problems in the perspective department, especially when drawing extravagant neo-gothic clock towers. I also had to take into account all the typography that will appear on the cover; even though the image appears fairly simple, finding the balance of the basic layout was quite an ordeal. I had decided early on to blanket London in some low cloud, a classic move to aid depth (and avoid painting hundreds of Victorian buildings from an awkward angle) but it was still a struggle to make the colours work. As one of the previous covers was predominantly blue, I had to be careful not to stray too far into that palette again.
Here are a couple of development pieces – there were a lot more, but I used them to start a fire (it’s been unfeasibly cold this week).